Have you ever seen a cuter sandwich than this? This recipe from the ever-so-wonderful Rosie of Sweetapolita certainly takes the cake.
These gooey, double-decker marshmallow filled sandwiches are sure to go down a treat at your next event. Coated with premium dark or milk chocolate and embellished with heaps of colourful sprinkles, these sprinkle sandwiches will definitely delight.
And her secret ingredient? ‘Sprinkles! A whole lot of them,’ Rosie explains.
‘And where there are sprinkles there must be something gloriously gooey or spreadable for them to adhere to, so heaps of homemade vanilla bean marshmallow frosting and premium melted chocolate are a good start!’
Try the recipe by following the steps below!
15 – 30 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Vanilla Bean Marshmallow Frosting: 4 egg whites | 1 cup (200 g) superfine sugar | 1 tbsp light corn syrup | Pinch of cream of tartar | 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
For the Chocolate Coating: 8 ounces (240 g) best-quality dark or milk chocolate, chopped or callets | 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
You will also need: 12 Store-bought ice cream sandwich cookies plus a few extra in case of breakage OR homemade cookies of your choice | Sprinkles of your choice | Large 18″ pastry bag | Large plain round pastry tip
WHAT TO DO
Make the Vanilla Bean Marshmallow Frosting:
- Wipe the stainless steel bowl and whisk of an electric mixer with a paper towel dampened with lemon juice to eliminate any trace of grease. Put the egg whites, sugar, corn syrup, cream of tartar in the bowl and put it over a saucepan of barely simmering water (be sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water). Whisk constantly but gently until the mixture reaches 130°F (54°C), about 7 minutes depending on the temperature your egg whites were to begin with.
- Transfer the bowl to the mixer. Beat the mixture on low speed for 2 minutes, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Increase the speed to hight and beat until very thick and glossy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla bean (or extract) and beat well.
- This frosting is best used right away, but it will keep covered at room temperature for up to an hour (once it’s piped into the cookies it’s fine, but just for ideal spreading/piping consistency).
Assemble the Marshmallow Sprinkle Sandwiches:
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and lay 6 of the cookies inside-up on the wax paper.
- Fill a large pastry bag fitted with a large plain round tip with the prepared Marshmallow Frosting and pipe a big dollop on top. Place another cookie, right side up, on top and repeat with another dollop and cookie.
Make the Chocolate Coating:
- In a double boiler, or in a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate and oil until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Carefully dip one end of each sandwich in the chocolate coating and lay back down on the wax paper. Sprinkle the chocolate areas with your fave sprinkles, tossing the sprinkles to cover the sides. Let sit to firm up.
- Once the sandwiches are firmed up, you can transfer them to a plate and collect the remaining sprinkles to put back in their bottles.
Enjoy your sprinkle sandwiches with a cup of tea in the company of your nearest and dearest. If you’re feeling extra generous, you might like to add a big dollop of ice cream!