How sweet is this cake creation? Combining a light fluffy vanilla cake with creamy layers of strawberry buttercream, this cake is sure to be a party pleaser.
This recipe of courtesy of Laicie, the creative talent behind one of our fave cooking blogs, A Thousand Threads.
With its oh-so-sweet floral decoration, we think this cake would be perfect for a girly soiree, a lavish afternoon tea, a feminine baby shower, or for a birthday for a special lady in your life.
Follow the recipe below to give it a try!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Vanilla Cake: 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened | ½ cup coconut oil | 3 cups granulated sugar | 5 eggs, room temperature | 3 cups all-purpose flour | 1 teaspoon baking powder | ¼ teaspoon salt | 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature | 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Strawberry Buttercream: 3 sticks + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into cubes | 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar | ½ cup fresh, ripe strawberries, washed, stemmed, and hulled | 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract | pinch of salt
WHAT TO DO
To make the vanilla cake:
- Pull out your eggs and buttermilk to allow the ingredients to warm to room temperature and preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans by coating well with shortening or butter and flour, taking care to remove all excess flour. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and coconut oil with an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to butter/oil and sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Add vanilla extract.
- Beat cake batter on high speed for about 5 seconds to fully incorporate all ingredients. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, making sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between cake pans, spread batter and flatten tops, and place pans into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for 5-10 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the strawberry buttercream:
- Puree strawberries in a food processor or blender and set aside.
- Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, about 5 minutes. Add the confectioners sugar slowly and beat until just blended.
- Add strawberry puree, vanilla, and salt and beat until buttercream is light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes.
Assemble and frost your cake using the buttercream as layers between the vanilla cake. Decorate with fresh blooms and viola! Your cake is ready to serve.