Looking for a delicious (and pretty) vegan canapé option for your next special event or dinner party? This vegan canapé recipe is sure to impress!
Well, Vegan Chef & Restaurant owner, Tenille Evans has just the recipe for you – Jackfruit Rillettes!
This vegan version of this classic French recipe can be served on a warm sliced baguette as a starter, or on dehydrated apple chips as a canapé. A great addition for your grazing board alongside yummy dips! Check out this Jackfruit Rillettes recipe below.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
– 800g young green jackfruit in canned brine, drained
– 400g canned cannellini beans, drained
– 4 whole garlic cloves
– 2 tablespoons mild olive oil
– 3 fresh thyme sprigs
– 1 tablespoon vegan butter
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice plus zest
– 2 teaspoons dijon
– 3 teaspoons salt
– 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
– 1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
– 1 tablespoon capers, finely chopped
– 1 large dill pickle, finely chopped
– 1 small red onion, finely chopped
WHAT TO DO
1. Put the jackfruit in a deep oven tray and cover with the oil, whole garlic cloves, thyme and salt. It’s a good idea to rub the oil into the jackfruit and toss it around a little to make sure it is coated
2. Bake on 200C for approximately 20 mins until edges of the jackfruit chunks are crispy, everything is golden and the garlic cloves are very soft. Take out of the oven and let cool.
3. While the jackfruit is baking, in a large bowl, place the cannellini beans, butter, lemon juice, dijon and pepper then mash well. It’s easiest to do this with your hands but you can use a fork if that’s easier for you.
4. Stir through the red onion, pickles, capers, dill and parsley.
5. Once the jackfruit is cool enough to handle, break the pieces up with your fingers so that you get shreds and chunks. Smash the soft roasted garlic in as well. Mix through some of the leaves of thyme but discard the woody stems.
6. Mix this through your bean mix very well. Use your hands so everything is very well combined and the pieces of jackfruit are all completely coated with the mix.
7. Taste for seasoning and add extra salt and pepper if you like.
Garnish with some edible flowers for a pretty finish!
Post your creation and don’t forget to tag @hoorayhq & @tenilleevans!
Looking for more Canapé ideas? Head here for more inspiration!