Try out the recipe and serve a tray of these cuties at your next summer soiree.
1 hour 30 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Sugar Cookie Recipe | Royal Icing Recipe | Flamingo, Pineapple, and Circle Cookie Cutter | Pastry Bags or Parchment Paper | Icing Tips (I used a 1.5 for the outline) | Squeeze Bottles for flooding the cookies | Gel Food Coloring | Toothpicks | ICEE Squeeze Candy | Food Decorator Pen in Black | Light Brown Sugar for sand
Sugar cookies (makes 20): 2.5 cups flour | 1 cup unsalted butter | 1 cup sugar | 1 egg | 2 teaspoons vanilla extract | 1 teaspoon Baking Powder | 1/2 teaspoon salt |
Royal icing: 3 cups confectioner’s sugar | 4 tablespoons egg whites | squeezed juice from one lemon (used to thin icing) | 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (optional)
WHAT TO DO
- Outline your cookies with the thicker royal icing and let dry for at least 15 minutes.
- Ice the flamingo’s legs and beak, and the pineapple’s top! The circle cookies will be your base, so those also need to be outlined and filled.
- Use your icing tip for those little pineapple dots and wing outline. For the wing, I lightened it a tad and made a tiny amount of flood icing to fill it in.
- Colour in the tip of the beak and a little eye with the black food decorating pen.
- For the water, I used that ICEE Squeeze Candy because it’s such a pretty color and makes the water a beautiful shiny blue.
- Carefully stick some toothpicks in the pineapples and flamingos and attach to the round cookie. The flamingos are very fragile, so be extra slow and careful!
Serve up a tray of these beauties at your next party! Don’t forget to snap a picture and show us via Instagram!