Is it your turn to host Christmas lunch this year? Celebrate the sheer joy of Christmas, an excuse (if we ever needed one?) to eat, drink and be merry, using our breezily modern interpretation of a Christmas feast that guests can munch on in between swims or backyard cricket.
This amazingly delicious Apple Cider Spiced Ham recipe is sure to be the star of your Christmas lunch. Give it a try!
What you’ll need
Leg of ham | 1/2 cup brown sugar | 275ml apple cider | 500ml apple juice | 2 star anise | 2 cloves | 2 cinnamon sticks | 3 tbsp honey | 3 tbsp maple syrup
What to do
- Preheat oven to 180°C (you can also use a barbecue with a lid).
- Place sugar, apple cider, apple juice, spices, honey and maple syrup into a large saucepan and simmer over a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce mixture for 20 minutes or until thick.
- Line a large baking dish with two layers of greaseproof paper and a wire rack.
- Run a knife under the rind of the ham and gently peel off the rind in one piece. Score the underlying fat in a diamond pattern, about 5mm deep.
- Transfer ham to baking dish.
- Using a bunch of rosemary (a pastry brush will also work), brush the ham with one-third of the glaze.
- Bake for approximately one hour, basting the ham every 20 minutes with the glaze.
Enjoy your delicious creation!
Photography by Lara Hotz | Styling by She Designs Events | Food Styling, Catering + Recipes by Violets and Vinegar | Floral Styling by Mikarla Bauer | Clothing by Tigerlily + Vanishing Elephant | Venue Brogers End