These vegan, egg free and dairy free brownies, by Bianca Virtue, are the greatest goodwill sweet (and kind of salty) treats you will ever taste…EVER!
1 hour + cooling time
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
1 chia “egg” (1 tbs chai seeds to 3 tbs cold water, simple combine together until a gel starts to form and place in fridge for 15 minutes) | 1 ¾ cup plain flour | ¼ tsp baking soda | 6 tbs cocoa | ½ cup dark chocolate (whittakers dark chocolate used) | ½ tsp coffee grinds | 1 tbs sea salt flakes | ¼ cup boiling water | 1 cup caster sugar | 6 tbs butter (nuttlex used) | 1 ½ tsp vanilla | ½ cup chopped pistachios
WHAT TO DO
- Pre heat oven to 175°. Line a slice tray with baking paper and set aside
- In a medium bowl sift together plain flour and baking soda and set aside
- In another medium bowl add cocoa, chocolate, coffee and salt, then add boiling water and combine to make a chocolate paste
- Add the sugar, butter, vanilla and chia egg into the chocolate paste and mix with an electric mixer until it combines and starts to go fluffy and smooth
- Using a wooden spoon, gradually add the flour mixture into the chocolate paste. The batter will start to become harder to mix, so start to combine it with your hands once this happens. Once combined, mix in the chopped pistachios ensuring they are right through the brownie mix
- Transfer the brownie mix into your prepared tray and flatten it with your hands ensuring the top is as smooth as possible – you can use your fingers, the back of a spoon or a spatula
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Once baked, leave it in the tray and allow to cool for 1 hour on a cooling rack
Remove from cooling rack and sprinkle extra salt on top if you like your brownies very salty!
Recipe + Images Bianca Virtue