Sweets buffets are the focal point of just about every party these days. But, if you want to style your own dessert/sweets/lolly table (or whatever you want to call it), it can be a pretty tricky task. We called upon dessert buffet pro Alicia, from Perfectly Sweet, to give us her top 10 tips for styling the perfect sweets table.
1. Budget: work out your budget and try to stick to it. It’s so easy to get carried away. To save money, think about borrowing serving platters and cake stands from your friends, or making the food yourself.
2. Theme & colour choice: you should always have a theme and colour palette to help style your table. Be sure to keep it in line with the theme of your celebration.
3. Tablecloth: I love making my tablecloth a real feature. Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when it comes to finding the perfect fabric to dress your buffet.
4. Backdrop: After you have worked out the perfect location for your buffet, have a think about your backdrop. It could be something simple like a white wall, a cluster of balloons or even something glam like a sparkly tablecloth.
5. Centrepiece: This is very important as it is the focal point of your buffet. I like to use a large floral arrangement or cake as my centrepiece.
6. Table setup: Use your centrepiece as the highest point of your buffet. I love to make my tables symmetrical, but be creative with what you can use for height. Sometimes I cover boxes in fabric or use a cake stand to create levels on the table.
7. Flowers: Floral arrangements play a big part in desserts tables, so if it’s in your budget include it, if not you could always try your local supermarket or neighbours garden (with permission!).
8. Labels: Labels are the prefect way to add the finishing touches to dress your buffet. You can have them hanging around the neck of your jars with matching ribbon, or as little tent cards. Either way, it’s good to have a description on what you are serving your guest.
9. Decorations: I LOVE decorations. If you have room on your table to add a few items to enhance your theme, go for it.
10. Desserts: My favourite part and final step in creating your sweets buffet. Don’t rush this last step take your time in strategically placing your yummy desserts on the table. Ensure you have a consistent spread of colour and height too.