Who doesn’t love some rocky road? And what’s not to like about cupcakes? Well, why not have both! This recipe combines the goodness of cupcakes with the deliciousness of rocky road—what a combination! The gorgeous Jess from Sweetest Menu has created and shared this delicious recipe with us, which we couldn’t help but share with you! The recipe makes 12 cupcakes—a great number for your next soiree. We think they make the perfect treat for baby showers or birthday parties that will guarantee you a chorus of ‘you made that?!’ from your guests. Enjoy!
2 hours (including 2.5 hours cooling)
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Chocolate Cupcakes: ¾ Cup plain flour | ¼ cup cocoa powder | 20 grams Dutch processed cocoa powder | ½ teaspoon baking soda | ½ baking powder | ½ cup caster sugar | ¼ brown sugar |1/2 cup unsalted butter | 2 large eggs | 1 teaspoon vanilla extract | ½ cup buttermilk Pink Marshmallow Frosting: 4 egg whites | 1 cup caster sugar | ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar | 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Nutella Rocky Road (1/2 a batch of Nutella Rocky Road Bark): 2 cups good quality dark chocolate pieces | 1 cup Nutella (plus extra for drizzling) | 1 cup mini marshmallows (extra for decorating) | 1 cup mixed roasted nuts – peanuts, walnuts and almonds (extra for decorating)
WHAT TO DO
- To make the Nutella Rocky Road Bark, first prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper. Chop your nuts roughly. Melt the chocolate pieces in a heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan filled with 5cm of water at a medium-heat (make sure the bowl is not touching the water). The steam will melt the chocolate but stir occasionally, once it’s almost melted add in the Nutella and gently stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and gently add the nuts and marshmallows. Pour the mixture onto the baking tray and smooth out with a spatula. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm. Break the bark into smaller pieces using a knife (keep refrigerated until ready to serve).
- To make the chocolate cupcakes preheat the oven to 180C and line a muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large bowl shift the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda and baking powder, then add the sugar and give it a stir.
- Melt the butter in the microwave for a short burst (10 seconds or so at a time, until melted). Give it a stir if there are any lumps
- In a separate bowl add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until combined.
- Spoon the mix into the patty cases and pop into the oven for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked. Set the cakes out to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the marshmallow frosting, on a medium heat place a saucepan with a few inches of water on top. In a heatproof bowl add the egg whites, caster sugar and cream of tartar and whisk together before placing over the medium saucepan (make sure the bowl does not touch the water)
- Gently whisk the mix the entire time until the egg whites are heated to 50C after around 5-6 minutes, test this by sticking a candy thermometer into the mix or go by feel where the mix should be hot to the touch.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and place mix into a stand mixer (or use a hand beater) and whisk on medium speed for 5 mins or until fluffy, white and voluminous. Add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds, then add a few drops of pink food colouring and mix.
Fill a piping bag with the mix using a star or large rounded tip and decorate the cupcakes. Add small pieces of the rocky road bark to each cupcake and enjoy!
Recipe + Photography by Jess from Sweetest Menu