This recipe by Sweetest Menu combines two of our favourite naughty treats, making all of our dessert dreams come true! If you’re looking to take your cake game to the next level, then this Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake topped with delicious chocolate brownies is the way to go. It’s the perfect treat for the summer months and long days of sunshine. Plus, it’s super simple and an impressive showstopper that looks as good as it tastes! Try the recipe out for yourself and serve up a slice at your next soiree!
2.5 hours + freezing time
Ages 14 +
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Chocolate Brownie (make x2 for base of cake and brownie decoration): ½ cup unsalted butter, chopped | 1 + 1/3 cup dark chocolate, pieces | ½ cup caster sugar | ½ cup brown sugar |1 tsp vanilla extract | 1 tsp vanilla extract | 3 eggs | 2/3 cup plain flour
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream: 2 cups thickened cream | 1 cup condensed milk | 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
Strawberry Ice Cream: 2 cups thickened cream | 1 cup condensed milk | 1 tsp strawberry extract | pink food colouring
WHAT TO DO
- To make the chocolate brownies, grease and line the base of a high-sided round cake tin (20 cm). Preheat the oven to 160C. The ingredients make one batch, so you will need to make two batches to also decorate the cake with brownies.
- Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Place over a hot saucepan filled with 5 cm of water and melt the mix on a medium heat. Remove from heat once velvety and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the sugar and vanilla to the chocolate mix and beat until combined. Add the eggs one at a time and beat again. Shift in the flour and beat mix until smooth. Pour mixture into the tin; smooth over the top gently.
- Bake the brownie mix for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked through. It should be cracked on top and no longer wobble. Leave to cool completely in the tin.
- To make the vanilla bean ice cream, beat your thickened cream with an electric beater in a large mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, mix the condensed milk and vanilla, then gently fold in cream. Once combined and smooth, pour over cooled brownie and cover with foil or plastic wrap. Pop into freezer for 3 – 4 hours (or overnight).
- Repeat the steps from the vanilla bean ice cream, but add in some strawberry extract and food colouring after mixing the cream and condensed milk. Once all combined pour over the set vanilla ice cream layer, cover and freeze overnight.
- Remove your ice cream cake from the freezer. Run a small butter knife around the insides to release the cake from the tin cleanly.
Now it’s time to decorate! Stack your second batch of brownies on top and for an extra generous touch, drizzle some extra melted chocolate over the brownies and allow dripping over sides. Yum!
Recipe + photography by Sweetest Menu